with assistance from
Eva-00 and Eva-01
|Design||Series: Hideaki Anno|
Sahaquiel (katakana: サハクィエル; Hebrew: סהקיאל) is the Tenth Angel, which attacks from orbit.
Sahaquiel is one of two Angels that appear in Earth's orbit (the other being Arael). This Angel is truly enormous, even when compared to the other Angels: the radius of the "pupil" of its central eye alone is roughly equal to the height of an Evangelion. Sahaquiel's body is characterized by its vaguely amoeba-like shape, and the giant eye marking in its middle.
Sahaquiel is capable of using its body as a massive bomb, or of dropping pieces of itself from orbit, causing massive explosions on the ground as a reference to home in on its target. It has a very strong A.T. Field, strong enough and expansive enough to withstand over a dozen N² aerial bomb detonations almost without effect, and which can be put to offensive use as well. The A.T. Field works in conjunction with kinetic energy to enhance Sahaquiel's explosive power. In addition, the Angel can jam satellite communications and tracking systems.
After appearing in high earth orbit, the Angel is initially attacked by over a dozen N² mines, but to absolutely no effect. Two reconnaissance satellites are sent to scan it, but are crushed by the angel's offensive AT field deployment. Sahaquiel proceeds by detaching parts of itself and dropping them onto the earth. Each subsequent part lands closer to the Geofront's location as it refines its aim. Nerv believes its ultimate goal is to finally descend with its entire mass in order penetrate the Geofront and recover Adam.
Misato's plan to stop the Angel has a very slim chance of success, so all the civilian population of Tokyo-3 evacuates along with the Geofront's non-essential personnel. The three Evangelions are deployed at different points to cover as much as possible of the area in which Sahaquiel may land, with orders to "catch" the Angel with their A.T. Fields before destroying it.
Eva-01 intercepts the Angel on the top of a mountain, Although its A.T. Field is able to stall the Angel's descent, the Eva is increasingly unable to handle Sahaquiel on its own as it is pushed into the turf and its arms burst open, Eva-00 and Eva-02 arrive shortly afterward, helping to push Sahaquiel back with their own A.T. Fields, and then wielding their prog knives to cut through the Angel's field and penetrate its core, respectively.
Upon death, the Angel collapses over the Evas and spontaneously explodes. The mountain is evaporated into a crater, but the Evas and their pilots are unharmed by the explosion.
The Sahaquiel presented in the Proposal is radically different from the finalized design used in the anime, comprised of little more than two long cutting ribbons attached to a disembodied core. The former design element was probably recycled into Zeruel's arms.
The "explosive" nature of the final Sahaquiel may have been co-opted from the unused "Apostolo" Turel.
In Rebuild of Evangelion
- Sahaquiel is fittingly named for the Archangel of the Sky, considering its expansive size and its appearance in orbit. The name "Sahaquiel" means "Ingenuity of God," which is perfectly fitting considering the Angel's unique abilities: its offensive A.T. Field and its ability to jam communications.
- The "eyes" on Sahaquiel, as well as those on Matarael, resemble the emblem of the Neo-Atlantean forces from Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (directed by Hideaki Anno).
- Eva Fan Club.
- Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection
- According to the Classified Information many Angels were trying to reunite with Adam or Lilith, but some were altogether mindless and had no real purpose. Sahaquiel is plainly acting with a purpose.
- Their evidence may be backed up when considering that all the previous angels were attacking either near the GeoFront (Sachiel) or trying to get in it (Ramiel, Matarael)
- Nadia in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Retrieved 2009/05/12.
|First and Second Angels (Seeds of Life): Adam | Lilith|
|Third to Seventeenth Angels (Adam's Children):|
|Sachiel | Shamshel | Ramiel | Gaghiel | Israfel | Sandalphon | Matarael | Sahaquiel|
|Ireul | Leliel | Bardiel | Zeruel | Arael | Armisael | Tabris|
|Eighteenth Angel: Lilin|
|Rebuild of Evangelion: ?Adams? | Lilith | 3rd Angel | 4th Angel | 5th Angel | 6th Angel | 7th Angel | 8th Angel | 9th Angel | 10th Angel | 11th Angel | 12th Angel | 1st/13th Angel|
|Other: Extracanonical Angels|