Talk:Tributes to Other Fiction in Neon Genesis Evangelion
It works better if you combine the two images into one side by side image file with a "split screen", and then load it onto the site. --V 21:49, 7 September 2007 (EDT)
Okay, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that tomorrow, thanks. --thewayneiac Sept. 07, 2007. 21:51 EDT.
I couldn't figure out how to do a split screen myself, but I found a way to get Wikimedia to display the same effect. --thewayneiac Sept. 08, 2007 23:16 EDT.
Image placement is still messy as hell. And we haven't yet decided how we should handle (possible) references such as these. I personally support a less authoritative, dialogue-based approach here. --Dr. Nick 14:39, 8 September, 2007 (EDT)
I'm not quite sure I understand your objection. Are you saying that visual comparisons are invalid? There is no dialogue in the "Waiting by Jizo-san" scenes, and the dialogue in the "park" scenes is quite different. The similarity here is in the visuals. However, I have a third example in mind that is diagogue driven. It should be posted soon. --thewayneiac Sept. 08, 2007. 23:21 EDT.
- No, I meant I'd prefer if this page was eventually transformed into an Expanded Commentary page of sorts, where we could use our individual voices. The connections are not invalid, but (most of the time) they're not confirmed either: this is a T&A page in essence. I'm going to wait for Reichu's input, I think she has some ideas as to how we might want to proceed with this. Until decisions are made, though, let's just keep adding content here. --Dr. Nick 11:56, 9 September 2007 (EDT)
- Is, er, there anything you need my input on? ^_^;;; --Reichu 14:57, 3 May 2009 (PDT)
Why does the cloud behind Hiroyuki and Miyako look like the same one Bardiel hid in? Anyway, awesome job with Andromeda, Dr. Nick! "601" is a direct movie reference, BTW. That error message does not occur in the book. --UrsusArctos 21:38, 19 September 2007 (EDT)
Evangelian References in Other Shows/Manga
Should tributes to other shows in Eva and tributes to Eva in other shows be seperate pages or different sections of the same page? Any thoughts? --thewayneiac Sept. 24, 2007. 21:23 EDT.
- Separate pages, definitely. See Guides:Main for what Reichu has in mind. --Dr. Nick 05:45, 25 September 2007 (PDT)
Small starter entry created. EvaYojimbo can probably expand it greatly. --Dr. Nick 14:32, 10 October 2007 (PDT)
Guys, I need source for that "Jet Alone got its name from Jet Jaguar" claim. --Dr. Nick 13:25, 20 October 2007 (PDT)
- It's from the Renewal liner notes:
- The name of JA comes from the robot, Jet Jaguar, which appeared in the special effects film Gozilla vs Megalon (1973). Jet Jaguar was a robot whose design was chosen from submissions from the public, and when it was initially announced, its name was Red Alone. Jet Alone is a name made by combining Red Alone and Jet Jaguar. It is truly a geeky GAINAX-like name.
--thewayneiac Oct. 20, 2007 22:21 EDT.
Space Runaway Ideon
Whoa, I caught the end of Ideon on Youtube and I'd be damned if Anno took nothing out of that! Looks like we need to find some images fast! --UrsusArctos 23:58, 13 November 2007 (PST)
I have Shin-Getter's fansubs of the movie, I can take some screenshots and post them --Ornette 16:12, 14 November 2007 (PST)
- here they are, pick the ones you want to add to the page http://www.tesuji.org/images/ideon_ss/ --Ornette 16:41, 14 November 2007 (PST)
- These are good, but I saw a whole bunch of other ones that made a much more direct connection, like one that is almost identical to Yui's soul coming in contact with Shinji in Episode 16. Also, can you get me the shot of the souls going into the ocean?--UrsusArctos 17:49, 14 November 2007 (PST)
- OK, check that link again --Ornette 20:15, 14 November 2007 (PST)
- Hmmm, those images are all over the place --Ornette 20:16, 14 November 2007 (PST)
- I know, I know, I tried to get them aligned neatly on the left but they always landed up looking wierd, so I decided to keep them that way. I'll see if it'll get done, the Evangelion images will come in a while...let me check the availability of EoE shots, too. --UrsusArctos 01:20, 15 November 2007 (PST)
- This sucks. We're missing the EoE sun-moon-earth screenshots and the Episode 26 ones as well. I can get rhe shots I need from 16, 25 and 26 but I need you to take some from 25' and 26'. --UrsusArctos 01:30, 15 November 2007 (PST)
- "A shot of the sun, earth and moon from the end of ideon."
- Wait, can we be sure that that's indeed out solar system, and not the Solo star system, for example? --Dr. Nick 13:45, 1 January 2008 (PST)
Article says, "The visual cue indicating Ide's awakening is the Ide gauge lighting up and streaks of electricity flowing across the Ideon's "eye visor". In Evangelion, a similar effect indicating the Eva's resident soul taking over is a falling droplet of water, followed by the Eva's eyes lighting up." Just to nitpick, this kind of "falling water droplet + Eva's eyes light up" sequence never happens in the show, unless my memory is totally off. --Reichu 14:55, 3 May 2009 (PDT)
This page needs an Anime & Manga / Other Media split, too. --Dr. Nick 13:57, 1 January 2008 (PST)
Also Sprach Zarathustra
I found the origins of our Sun-Earth-Moon shot. It's 2001 again. I'll fix it when I come back.--UrsusArctos 09:58, 14 March 2008 (PDT)
I notice a whole lot of similarities besides the sandbox scene. Oniisama seems to frequently focus on shots of trains and level crossings- something rather similar to what we see in Kare Kano and NGE. And the characters Kaoru Orihara and Rei Asaka do resemble the Kaworu and Rei we know of- Rei Asaka in particular shares plenty in common with Ayanami. Shall I go ahead and add a little more? I can't imagine some of these things being mere coincidences! --UrsusArctos 04:57, 28 April 2010 (UTC)
- Go right ahead. I based the Oniisama E material on a thread Shin-seiki started immediately after we saw the sandbox scene. So it's far from an exhaustive list of similarities. Anything that that helps us understand Eva's sources is beneficial. --thewayneiac 15:00 PM ETD. April 28, 2010
http://www.n-sider.com/blog/2012/06/earthbound-and-evangelion-separated-at-birth ? --Gwern (talk) 18:46, 24 June 2012 (PDT)
Sadamoto mentioned UFO in an interview. Can someone extend the UFO section of the article?
( Back-up on Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20170506155021/https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/02/21/the-current-status-of-gainax-interview-hiroyuki-yamaga-yoshiyuki-sadamoto-september-2016/ )
French version (unavailable at the moment of this writing): https://www.otacrew.com/article/interview-gainax-sadamoto-yamaga-connichi-2016
"[Interviewer:] It was a uniform in the TV series. Did you draw all the uniforms in the TV series?