"Making something... Nurturing something is really great. You can see and learn so many things from the process."
In the first movie poster for Rebuild of Evangelion, released on February 14th, 2007, Anno explained why he would not be returning to Gainax to produce the project:
- "As the creator of this project, I assure you that a very new-feeling Evangelion world has been constructed. For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again. Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future. Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series."
Anno is joined on the Rebuild films by all the original major creators of Evangelion: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (character designs: also created the NGE manga adaptation), Ikuto Yamashita ("mechanical design": Angel and Evangelion designs), and Shiro Sagisu (musical score).
Relationship with Gainax
Khara is an entirely independent production company with offices in West Shinjuku. From the sources available in English, it is unknown what relationship Anno and the team members of Rebuild maintain with Gainax or whether they will return to Gainax.
Joint copyright in Evangelion
From the copyright notices on the Rebuild film, Gainax's web page and the covers of all Evangelion manga published since (including Angelic Days and Eva Manga 11), it appears that Khara and Gainax now hold joint ownership in the copyright to Evangelion.
- Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone (September 1, 2007) – animation production
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (July 19, 2008) – animation cooperation
- Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance (June 27, 2009) – animation production
- Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society 3D (March 26, 2011) - digital coloring
- Kantoku Shikkaku (September 3, 2011) - production