User talk:ObsessiveMathsFreak/Threads Of Interest
Threads of Interest
This is a list of Evangelion Discussion Threads containing theories, discussions and/or observations of some interest and/or insight and/or historical interest. Updated periodically(And by no way, manner, or means comprehensive). The threads are added as I—(or any other wiki editors who come across this page)—remember or come across them, so this list is patchy at best. Since some organisation is needed, the threads are arranged in approximate chronological order of their first posts.
- 1 2003
- 2 2004
- 3 2005
- 4 2006
- 5 2007
- 6 2008
- 7 2009
- 8 2010
- 9 2011
- 10 2012
- 11 2013
- 12 2014
- Shinji and Asuka: If, like me, you are rather slow on the uptake when it comes to Shinji and Asuka's relationship, Shin-Seiki's analysis can help. This thread deals with the ins and outs of their troubled relationship in painstaking detail. A must read for all 'shippers, no matter what their preference. Rather long, but vital to understanding the central relationship in Evangelion.
- Rei, Lilith, and Quantum Mechanics: A list of references to Quantum mechanics in Evangelion is brought up by Shin-Seiki and others. Anno's physics geek qualifications are also brought up. Some interesting finds here. Probably one of the the first threads discussing quantum mechanics and its importance in Evangelion's meta-physics.
- EoE Ritsuko's Last Scene: Gendo's Unheard Line: There will never be a truly definitive answer to this question, but this thread runs through the gamut of possibilities and I think comes tantalisingly close to the true answer. A long discussion, over many page and may years, and with quite a few less serious posts; but worth a read nonetheless.
- Why was Misato at the South Pole?: Why indeed. This thread discusses the possibilities, along with other details of the Anarctic expedition. No firm conclusion, but everyone should be aware of this mystery and it's potential consequences for the narrative.
- Misato & Shinji: One of many threads discussing Misato's deeper feelings when it comes to Shinji. A difficult topic for some, but I think the thread lays out enough evidence
- Are we overanalyzing things?: Every serious Eva analyst should be aware that what they do, and more importantly what they conclude, may not neccessarily be what the writers, or anyone else, ever had in mind. A meta thread, but a cautionary one. Know thy limits.
- What REALLY motivated Ritsuko to turn against Gendo in #23: Evangelion analysis 101. The true reasons behind Ritsuko's betrayal of Gendou are revealed in a careful and comprehensive analysis by Shin-Seiki. A long thread, but the payoff (8 pages in) is well worth your time. The conclusion can be difficult for some to accept, but the evidence presented is compelling. To my mind, this is also the first thread that really opens the pandora's box that is Ritsuko and which examines the astounding depth of her relationship with Gendou and other characters. Proper understanding of Evangelion is largely impossible without this thesis. If you read only one thread on this list, make it this one.
- My Eva TV Ending Journal Or Something: Modelled after CUPS' great "live blogging" of his first viewing of the series, this was my attempt at a blow by blow account of my first viewing of EoTV. Goes through episodes #25 and #26 in some detail. Also, it seems to have a cathartic effect on those who weren't too fond of the original ending.
- Misato's Apartment Layout: The layout of Misato's apartment is shown via production diagrams, and its implications for Asuka's actions in episode #09 are discussed. I include this as it's a good example of how the answer to one topic can have bearing on discussions of another.
- Is The S^2 Organ In The Core?: In this thread, the analysis community finally comes to terms with the presence of the S^2 Organ in the core; something which (if I recall correctly) up to that point we had been in stringent denial about for some reason. Also contains discussion on the Dummy Bodies from episode #13 and the potential origins of cores.
- They Came For The Bridge Bunnies: In which I make a complete fool of myself. The moral of this thread is that if everyone is telling you that your Evangelion Theory is wrong, then it probably is; and that tacking precarious wafers of additional evidence to an insubstantial core really just amounts to beating a very dead horse.
- The Mystery of Gendo's Office: An entirely too silly discussion on the location of Gendou's office and continuity errors in the series. This is what happens when you don't spend enough time trying to figure out Third Impact and get distracted by trivialities.
- AT Field Orders Of Magnitude: This is what happens when you mix maths, Evangelion, and too much free time. The lesson for screenwriters is to never lightly throw out numbers in a Sci-Fi show.
- Toji's dream/hallucination in Episode 19: Touji's mysterious "dream" of Shinji and Rei in episode #19 is briefly discussed. While the possibility of a hallucination is brought up, I put forward the suggestion that Rei II is in fact "telepathically" communicating with Shinji here.
- The Dead Sea: An unsuccessful attempt of mine to shift the consensus view on the location/identification of the Dead Sea. It didn't inspire the kind of revelations I had intended.
- Soul rant: A discussion about souls that was quickly hijacked into one about the visual effects associated with AT and AAT Fields. The thread notes the subtle blurring and heat haze effects that are associated to both, along with several screen-caps. A good thread for those who may have missed this effect.
- The Kaworu-Katsuragi Connection?: This thread is probably the largest proponent of K^4 theory, an speculative but potentially intriguing thesis on the potential connections between Misato, Kaworu, Kaji and Dr. Katsuragi. Sceptical as I am, I must admit that the sheer amount of otherwise unexplained parallels and connections made by Reichu in this thread makes it worth a reading.
- EoTV/EoE Concurrency and Gainax: Probably one of the better discussions on Ending Concurrency (There are many). Discusses concurrency from a production and thematic standpoint, and goes though the reasons for interpretations on both sides of the debate.
- Gendo's Mysterious Induction, or, How I Ate My Husband: Discuss the mysterious fate of Gendou in EoE in some depth. Two main viewpoints are presented: Reichu offers evidence for Yui being the one who dispatches him, while the case for Shinji is put forward by myself. The thread also discusses the meaning of the scene for Gendou's ultimate destination.
- Death Renewal ghosting (graphically intense thread): A thread which shows that sometimes analysis can read too much into minute details. Evangelion microanalysis will never be the same again.
- The Great Episode 24' Plot Hole / Fanwank Thread: Sailor Star Dust called for aid, and Reichu called her banner and summoned her lances. Thus began the magnificent 27 page charge of the EML analysis Light Brigade in their attempt to finally make episode #24' make sense. I like to think that our failure made for a more immortal moment; but that doesn't mean this thread isn't a great read. On the bright side, we got a great meme out of the whole event.
- Definitive timeline: For the chronophiles amongst us, this thread is the communities attempt to place definitive dates on the various events that occur in the year 2015. It's amazing what geeks can accomplish when they work together.
- Passage of Time (EoE Final Scene): One of the many threads discussing just how long Shinji was alone on the beach at the end of EoE. Expect many arguments about rusted crosses, malnutrition and clean clothes with a level of pedantry that only the Evangelion community can muster. It may not be pleasant, but these threads do have to be read.
- EoE Swing Symbolism (and Trains, too): A brief discussion on the meaning of swings in Evangelion, and on the potential origins of Shinji's "hell train" sequences.
- Shinji & the Pendant / Fun in Tang Land: Discussions on the water layer "interstice" seen in EoE and its link to the entry plug. Also contains some discussions on Misato's cross as a visual anchor.
- My Big Honkin' "Mechanics of the Impacts" Theories: An ambitious thread by Eva Yojimbo attempting to explain the mechanics of Third Impact. Not much in the way of solid conclusions, but a huge amount of material is discussed in a relatively short thread. An interesting read if you can slog through the posts.
- So, was emo Asuka really trying to be AN HERO in #24?: A long standing assumption of the community was put to the test in this thread and found wanting. The nature of Asuka's "suicide attempt" was discussed in some detail and the old assumption about wrist slitting was finally put to rest (as near as I can tell). A good thread, and a good example of how we analysts are not necessarily so set in out ways.
- Asuka and Hikari: The thread that definitively proves that the Evangelion analysis community in fact consists of perverts. We do manage to reach the correct interpretation, but then lapse back before our reputations can recover. Nevertheless, a good thread to insight into both Asuka and Hikari.
- I got it! Why Gendo was so concerned about Rei II, maybe!: A discussion of Gendou's motives for dramatically saving Rei in episode #05. Opinions on motives, both personal and professional are presented. To my mind, one of the few threads that seriously discusses the Gendou/Rei relationship.
- Is this a sexual innuendo or what!?: While my opinion on this is that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar; it would be derelict of me not to include this thread in the list.
- Reconsidering the NGE2 PS(2/P) Game's Canonicity The question of the canonicity of the CI, and NGE2 in general, will probably never go away. This thread outlines the concerns, disputes, consternations, and ultimately resignation of the EGF analysis community to the CI over the course of several years. A useful resource for anyone looking to deconstuct the discussion forum.
- EoE Instrumentality 101: A thread discussing Instrumentality and the motivations of characters during it. Notable for Reichu's side topic discussion on exactly where the Sea of LCL is. Millisecond visual hints, character quotes, production materials and kabbalistic lore are wound into a coherent framework in a way that only Reichu is capable of doing. The idea of the LCL sea as a parallel "imaginary" dimension is introduced, but you'll need to keep up.
- Why did Kaworu think he'd find Adam at Terminal Dogma?: Once again the Episode #24' plothole is discussed. However, picking up the pieces from the Great Fanwank Thread, I'd like to think that in this thread I managed to present some kind of resolution to the paradox. ....I'd like to think that.
- Was emo Shinji becoming AN HERO in 25'?: The question of Shinji's alleged suicide attempt at the lake at the beginning of EoE is discussed, and evidence is presented which points towards it, though it remains only an inferred matter. Interesting visual links between various scenes in EoE and EoTV suggest there is more going on during Shinji morning at the lake than meets the eye.
- Shinji/Rei in the Scheme of Things: For a long time, most serious analysis has concentrated on the Shinji/Asuka relationship, to the exclusions of Shinji/Rei. But is this entirely correct? This deeper exploration of Shinji and Rei's relationship takes place in the chit-chat forum, benefiting greatly from the resulting wider participation.
- "Chief Ikari changed after that day": If like me, you are slightly slow on the emotional uptake, this thread and the images therein might be of some interest. Discusses how the impact of Yui's death on Gendou is shown visually though the change in his character.
- Dress to Impress When Naoko put on her pearls for Gendo, it turns out that wasn't the only change to her attire. Sometimes, it's amazing how long certain minutiae can go unnoticed in Evangelion.
- The Nature of the Ghostly Reis: Rei/Lilith/GNR and all that Despite the unnecessary proliferation of numerical labels, this thread tries to argue that the ghostly "bookend" Rei's in #01 and #25' are not in fact the result of time-travel, but instead represent an aspect of Lilith. This goes against the prevailing "acausal" explanation of these Rei's, as products of the instrumentality which occurs in #26'.
- Kensuke The Spy What did Kensuke know? When did he know it? A debate about whether or not Kensuke knew that all of Class 2-A were Eva pilot candidates.
- Reevaluating the PWM Monster A fairly dense thread which seriously questions the concept of Particle Wave Matter, as well as its relationship to AT Fields, LCL, and and ATF spectra in the show. Eva technobabble fanwankery at its finest.
- A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail The forum returns to analysis of the Reiquarium images, this time in higher definition. Notable for Reichu and orgsun's discoveries of the sources of two of the images.
- Dummy Plug System Discusses the grim nature of the tank of Rei's in Terminal Dogma and its connection to the Dummy Plug system. Is there really a Rei clone inside each Dummy plug?
See Also: The Evangelion 3.33 FAQ.
- REBUILD 3.0 Film Reaction Thread The year 2013 Heralded the arrival of Evangelion 3.0 and a triumphant return to form for Evangelion grandeur, mystery, confusion, and of course analysis. This thread lists the first impressions of many forum posters to the arrival of the Evangelion 3.0 film. A good thread to browse as our first impressions are not all that far from our current (2014) understanding of the film.
- REBUILD (3.33) Things you Noticed A general dumping ground for odd details, references, millisecond frame details and massive superstrutures which posters happened to spot on their umpteenth rewatching of the film. Most things in here probably haven't been discussed properly yet(2014).
- REBUILD Impact Mechanics Another dumping ground for every possible theory, interpretation and discussion on the mechanics of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th impacts in NTE. The format didn't really do justice to the discussions which took place, so expect a lot of boggy terrain and not much in the way of solid conclusions.
- REBUILD Geofront Moon Stuff A thread that became a repository of knowledge and discussion on every possible aspect of the Geofront, before and after its transformation, the Moon, and any associated objects, landscapes, or structures. Complete with several fan-made maps and diagrams, this thread is required reading for the wealth of details . Required Reading.
- REBUILD AAA Wunder: For everything you ever wanted to know about the AAA Wunder but didn't know how to ask. Another essential thread.
November/December 2012 Rebuild Threads
Note: Some 2013 rebuild threads start earlier in November, but have been moved into 2013 owning to note the major transition which occured in Rebuild analysis and Eva analysis during this year.
- REBUILD Capabilities of the Nemesis Series (Eva Mark.04) Every detail of the Mark.04 units is gone over by the EGF Rebuild team with fine toothed combs. We still have very little idea what they are though.
- REBUILD Failures of Infinity: Don't lose your head!. A major split from the Impact Mechanics Thread discussing all aspects of the mysteries, wrapped in enigmas and coated in core-effect, that are the Failures of Infinity. Essential reading for all Rebuild Impact fans.
- REBUILD "Curse of Eva" What is the Curse of Eva? Why has Asuka not aged, and what's wrong with here eye? Do Evas need to comes with an FDA warning or is something else going on here. (Asuka's eye also has it's own separate thread.
- REBUILD The magical S-DAT Haunted, hexed, magical, dead-dropped, capable of crossing through core dimensions, previously owned by Gendo, and it even plays music (most of the time). This is no ordinary tape player!
- REBUILD Gendo in 3.0 and beyond On his arrival, the considered view of the EGF Rebuild discussion forum was that Gendo had become a Eva plot element all by himself. It becomes hard to tell where the man ends and the legend begins.
- REBUILD Shinji, Rei, Yui and Eva-01 Why does Shinji have a 0% synch rate with Eva-01? What exactly has happened to Rei, and possibly to Yui? Do we need to think outside the box of accepted NGE conventions in order to understand Rebuild?
- Who's worse? Gendo or the teacher? One of the few threads discussing Shinji's relationship with the "Sensei" he lived with before coming to Tokyo-3. Notable for BC Baron's highlighting of the obvious distance between Shinji and his previous guardian.
- Fuyutsuki: Gendo's Imaginary Friend? (Purpose and Morality) Hands down one of the all time greatest Eva spoof-theories. The discussion later turn to morality, but shows that with Eva you can never be too careful about your assumptions.
- "Gentlemen, It's a Nuclear Device" Discusses the "nuketagons" in Lilith's chamber, which actually appear in 3.0.
- End of Evangelion and the Audience-Author Membrane Wherein the EGF community proves we are not complete shut-ins by discussing someone elses (very well argued) opinions about evangelion. Amongst ourselves of course. Worth noting for video links at least.
- You Like Evangelion? Anno hates you.(Death of the Author) Aside from the advent of 3.0, 2013 will be remembered as they year when the "Death of the Author" became a standard term in English speaking Eva analysis.
- REBUILD The Photograph Discusses the "big reveal" photograph of Yui shown in 3.0. Modern (real world) science later unlocks the mystery of the blurred writing on the back.
- Could Fuyutsuki be Shinji's real father? Okata Toshio seems to agree.
- Asuka when the boys call around Is Asuka really this complicated or are we (I) just reading too much into small details again? Either way there are umbrellas to explain!
- REBUILD Gone to Guf. Back for Final. -- Love Gen & Fuyu: When 3.0 ends, where exactly have Fuyutsuki and Gendo ended up? This thread proposes that the Guf in Rebuild is a real place, and that the intrepid pair have literally crossed through the door in some kind of Wunder-like "Nemesis" craft.
- REBUILD Turned to core: A discussion of the mysterious "core effect". The landscape of Tokyo-3 has been seemingly converted into the same, slowly animated substance that the Eva and Angel's cores are made from. Also discusses the further effects including the mysterious "whisps" which seem to be associated with Lilith.
- Asuka and Shinji's relationship in episodes 16-18 After all that Rebuild excitement, it's nice to sit down and have a simple NGE discussion on the basics: And it doesn't get more basic than the relationship between Shinji and Asuka -- or more contentious unfortunately.
- The Curse of Canonicity: Does NME Influence NGE? [Split] A productive split discussing the canonicity of NGE and Rebuild in relation to one another. A discusssion of some very old issues in light of the relatively new phenomenon of Rebuild.
- (CI) Details of the Human Instrumentality Project: D The Canonicity of the CI once again rears it ugly head. Casual observers may find such discussions on contentious esoterica mildly amusing, but its serious business for all interested analysts.
- REBUILD How did the SDAT get from the Wunder to the Geofront? Let it never be said that a simple continuity error can get past the Rebuild discussion forum.
- REBUILD Sakura's line, "Give us a break" Sakura doesn't get much screen time in 3.0, but what moments she does appear in are heavy with meaning. What can her attitude to Shinji reveal about what he has done, and what others think he has done?
- REBUILD Misato: Functioning Alcoholic? The evidence is there. If only she could admit it to herself.
- REBUILD How did Rei (II or Q?) first talk to Shinji aboard Wunder? Discusses Rei-Q's ability to psychically communicate with Shinji, and whether this is a general trait of Rei in Rebuild, and possibly NGE.
- Touji & Kensuke in Eva-01, ep 3: Got a problem with it? An old NGE chestnut which never gets enough attention. How can Toji and Kensuke climb into Eva-01 while it remains grappling with Shamshel? It's probably still worth it to get Toji into the plug.
- Impact Events and the People Who Drive Them The first thread in a while to dive into the whole issue of how Impacts work in NGE, and to attempt to explain the what exactly is going on. Since these question essentially remain the primal driving force behind all Evangelion analysis, threads like these are important to have every now and again.
- REBUILD Is Gendo a cyborg now? What exactly has Gendo sacrificed to get this far, and obtain his new eyewear? And what exactly is in that case he keeps carrying around?
- REBUILD Who Re-armoured Eva-01, and when? (Split) Sometimes it's the little details that get us to piece together the big picture. Exactly how did Eva-01 end up with spear removed and armour reapplied after Near 3rd Impact at the end of 2.0?
- REBUILD How did Mari and Asuka get into Lilith's chamber? When you need plot-hole minutae explained, there are few better ways than via one of TMBounty_Hunter's patented explanatory diagrams. Really emphasises how helpful visual discriptions can be.