Article currently says, It is never stated how long ago Misato acquired Pen Pen, although in the first Rebuild of Evangelion movie, Misato says that "it feels like it's been 15 years".
I don't think Misato is talking about how long she's had Pen-Pen...
Here's the Japanese: シンジ「あんなトリがいるんですか！？」 ミサト「１５年前はね。いっぱいいたのよ。」
My subtitles (R3 subs, not the old crappy fansubs) say: "I've never seen a bird like that!" "They used to be a lot more common 15 years ago."
This probably counts as a misconception now "no thanks to" those fansubs -- so the miscommunciation, at least, should get mentioned......
--Reichu 21:21, 13 April 2009 (PDT)
- I was trying to point out the way that line SHOULD have been translated in the fansubs. The 'subs I've seen actually say "I've had him for 15 years", when it seems like what Misato was REALLY saying was it along the lines of "it feels like it's been ages" as it were. But whatever, I guess what we have now is good, though we could just get rid of the misconception line altogether and have what the translation should be. --Sailor Star Dust 12:14, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
- You sound uncertain about something? Basically, when I saw what you did, it occurred to me that you had "fixed" an error into just another error ("hypercorrection", they call it?), so I posted the actual script and what seems to be an accurate translation in an attempt to clear things up for good.
- Like I said, we are probably going to have to deal with this misconception for a while (some people don't even know there's an error in their 1.0 subs), so I'm guessing it will do more good than harm to mention it in the article. I would incorporate a footnote-citation including the Japanese and the translated dialogue, though. (Some of the other stuff in the article should be converted to the footnotes format as well.) --Reichu 14:54, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
- If you look at the history, I was just talking about it in here. I didn't write anything but including this yesterday: although in the first Rebuild of Evangelion movie, Misato says that "it feels like it's been 15 years".
- I'm not sure what's wrong with having written Misato says it feels like it's been that long because it doesn't mean it WAS that long. In terms of keeping that note about the fansub error, fine by me. --Sailor Star Dust 17:46, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
- >I'm not sure what's wrong with having written Misato says it feels like it's been that long because it doesn't mean it WAS that long.
- I get the feeling that there's a huge lapse in communication here... I'll resolve this with you over IRC, it'll be more efficient. --Reichu 20:42, 14 April 2009 (PDT)
- Talking about it on IRC is fine, my sincere apologies that I'm not being too clear with what I mean. >_< --Sailor Star Dust 09:33, 15 April 2009 (PDT)
Fansub translations of "15 years"
When looking up my fansub copy, here's what I found: The NF version fansub of the 1.01 DVD says this when Shinji is introduced to Pen Pen: "I've had him for 15 years. That's a long time... His name's Pen Pen." (Sidenote, Misato's infamous line of "Starting today, this is your home, so you can take advantage of everything here." is translated as "Since this is your home now, you have to act like it". (A case of the translators "not wanting to go there"?) I'm not sure what the other fansubs for the DVD release says, but I know it was somewhat different. EDIT: Also, for convenience's sake, does anybody know how many different 'subs for 1.0 (crappy camrip and DVD version) there were total? --Sailor Star Dust 19:42, 18 April 2009 (PDT)