IPEA = IAEA
(SA) I wonder if IPEA's functions are almost similar to the International Atomic Energy Agency ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Energy_Agency ), since part of that real-life agency's functions is the regulation and curbing of nuclear weapons. --Soul.Assassin
- That sounds like a very probable allusion (and some of the Japanese fans have stumbled across it, too, judging from a really quick Google search). I'd say it's worth adding.
2.0 CRC question
Just to clarify: the 2.0 CRC book says nothing about how IPEA relates to Seele, only that IPEA's an independent organization from Nerv? (For instance, there's some theory floating around that perhaps IPEA is indeed Mari and Kaji's organization. And that perhaps IPEA is an anti-Third Impact/Instrumentality organization, thus they're trying to stop Seele's plans--but I have no idea if these theories are grounded in anything. >_>) Thanks~ --Sailor Star Dust 16:49, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
- CRC isn't really a compilation of convenient factoids. If you can't extract information from the images (and their kanji salad captions, and the indecipherable chicken scratch of concept designers and animators) or the interviews, you're out of luck.
- I got the "independent from Nerv" bit from the fact that the Eva containment silo area has a big line saying ABOVE THIS LINE JURISDICTION OF NERV and BELOW THIS LINE JURISDICTION OF UN IPEA (something like that). I'll upload the screenshot now that I have it labeled.
- Regarding their function, playing some role in implementing the Vatican Treaty sounds like a sound bet, so I suppose they could be anti-3I as a corollary of that. What's up with their logo, though...? The similarity to Eva Unit God (and Adam from the original show) is pretty suspicious. I can't for the life of me decipher what the orb zipping around the giant is supposed to represent. --Reichu 21:34, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
- FWIW, the 2 dots in the circles are pretty obviously the artistic depiction of the Rutherford atom, so stereotypically used in the Cold War (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Atomic_Energy_Commission_logo.jpg).
- Is it anything more than an allusion to the IPEA tasked with controlling new WMDs, as the old UN IAEA (notice the similar spellings and the logo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_IAEA.svg) was tasked with controlling nuclear weapons? Probably not. --Gwern (contribs) 16:48 4 March 2011 (GMT)
- Ahh, I guess that explains why I was getting "orbital vibes" from that third circle... I'm not very knowledgeable on matters of history. If you feel up to adding some stuff on the IAEA allusions, I'd be most grateful! --Reichu 17:40, 5 March 2011 (UTC)
- Oh, "I don't know everything; I just happen to know this."
- I thought the logo looked very familiar, noticed the interesting name which was connected to a real UN agency prominent in recent years (thanks to Iran), and went looking. You could basically paste my comment in as it's all I really know. --Gwern (contribs) 01:59 6 March 2011 (GMT)