Gunbuster or Aim for the Top! Gunbuster (トップをねらえ！) is an OVA that was released by Gainax in 1988 and directed by Hideaki Anno and Kazuya Tsurumaki. It featured a female protagonist (Noriko) with a "fight to be the best" theme. The animation of the female breasts from this show started the phrase The Gainax Bounce and has been used to refer to many future works from Gainax.
There are many references to other media withing Gunbuster. A few of them are listed below:
- Aim for the Top! references to the 1970's anime Aim for the Ace! as well as the Tom Cruise-starring 1985 movie Top Gun.
- The character Jung-Freud is named after the psychologists Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud.
- The Sizzler mecha was named after a toy car made by Mattel.
- The design of the heads of the Sizzler mecha are based on the bird-like creatures Gyaos from the Gamera movies.
- Noriko had posters of My Neighbor Totoro, Space Battleship Yamato, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind , Thunderbirds, and Grave of the Fireflies on her walls in different episodes.
This article bears the unpleasant designation of "Stub." This is a Bad Thing. Provide a great service to NGE fan-geeks everywhere by making it awesomer!