The End of Evangelion
|Written By||Hideaki Anno|
|Directed By||Kazuya Tsurumaki|
|Video Release Date||9-24-2002|
|Angel Appearances||Lilith, Adam|
|← Previous||Next →|
The End of Evangelion (新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版: Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijō-ban) is a 1997 anime movie by Hideaki Anno, created as an alternate ending to the series Neon Genesis Evangelion. The film is divided into two episodes: Episode 25': Love is Destructive and Episode 26': ONE MORE FINAL: I need you. They are meant to either replace or complement the original ending in Episode 25 and Episode 26 of the original series with a more "real world" account of the episode's events.
With the defeat of the final Angel, Gendo Ikari turns on the Seele organization, each of them wanting to initiate Third Impact under their own control. Through Seele's control of the United Nations, it orders a massive leave-no-survivors assault on Tokyo-3 by the JSSDF, who clear through the personal of NERV quickly and efficiently. Asuka, piloting Eva-02, is able to repulse the JSSDF, motivating Seele to deploy the nine Mass Production model Evangelions against Eva-02. After a titanic battle, Eva-02 is destroyed, killing Asuka. Meanwhile, Misato fights her way through the JSSDF's invasion of Nerv HQ to bring Shinji to Eva-01, dying moments after getting Shinji to safety. Rei merges with embryonic Adam and then Lilith, rejecting Gendo, and instigates Third Impact and Instrumentality using Eva-01, the Mass Production Evangelions, and the Spear of Longinus. After examining his life's meaning with Rei/Lilith, Shinji decides to reject Instrumentality, and return to the world even though that means being hurt. Some time later, Shinji wakes up on the beach of the Sea of LCL formed by Instrumentality, and finds Asuka alive next to him.
Episode-specific pages can be found here:
- Executive Director - Hideaki Anno
- Episode 25': Kazuya Tsurumaki
- Episode 26': Hideaki Anno
- Episode 25': Kazuya Tsurumaki
Produced by Mitsuhisa Ishikawa
Written by Hideaki Anno
- Toei Company, Ltd. (Japan)
- Manga Entertainment (U.S.)
Release date(s) July 19, 1997
Running time 87 min.
Budget: US$ 7.5 million
It is a commonly held belief that Hideaki Anno created End of Evangelion as a form of revenge against Evangelion fans unhappy with the existing ending to the TV series. In reality, the End of Evangelion is closer to the original concept for the series ending, which was changed due to budget and censorship issues. It's also a commonly held belief that the Death threats flashed on screen in End of Evangelion were for the ending of the TV series, when in fact, the Death threats shown on screen at least, were in regards to Evangelion Death And Rebirth's ending. Most of these 'death threats' were, in fact, letters of praise and encouragement. Only two can really be considered "death threats," while only one can really even be considered "hate mail."
The short scene during the Live-Action sequence with a panning shot of the inside of a movie theater was taken during a screening of Evangelion: Death and Rebirth in the now closed Milanoza movie theater.
Love is Destructive:
- (After masturbating by Asuka's bedside)
Shinji: "I'm the lowest..."
- Seele Member: "The fate of destruction is the joy of rebirth."
- Commander Ikari: "Rei...You're here, after all. The promised time has come. Let's go."
- (Misato gives Shinji a farewell kiss)
Misato: "That's an adult kiss. Let's do the rest when you come back."
- Commander Ikari and Ritsuko:
"Ritsuko Akagi, truly...(His next line is silent)"
- (Original Japanese)
JSSDF officer: Evangelion Shogoki! (Evangelion Unit-01!)
JSSDF commander: Masa ni Akuma ka? (Is it the Devil?)
ONE MORE FINAL: I need you:
- Yui and Rei (Before Shinji turns into L.C.L): "This Rei is from your soul. She's the embodiment of your wish." "What do you wish for?"
- Misato: "I failed to be Shinji's mother after all."
- Fuyutsuki: "The Seed of Life...and the Seed of Wisdom [have been both acquired by Eva Unit 01.] It is [now] equal to God. Will it be an ark to save humanity from the nihil of the Third Impact...or become a demon to annihilate humanity? Our future is up to Ikari's son."
- (Asuka and Shinji during Pre-Instrumentality with Misato occasionally interjecting):
Asuka: "Do you want to kiss?"
Misato: "Absolutely not."
Asuka: "Or are you scared?"
Misato: "It's not for kids."
Asuka: "Then, here I go."
Asuka: "You don't understand anything! Don't get come near me!"
Shinji: "I do understand."
Asuka: "You don't understand, stupid! (Asuka kicks Shinji instead of kissing him.) Do you think you understand me?! Do you think you can save me?! That's nothing but your conceited ego! You will never understand!"
Shinji: "How can I understand? Asuka doesn't tell me anything. You don't tell me anything. You don't say anything. It's impossible to understand!"