Okey dokey, I attempted to clean up the most egregious mess. The opening statement and the translation section still need some work, and some references still need to be added. With that uber-huge ANGEL LIST here, I'm honestly not sure if merging Adam's Children back in is a good idea. Are there other ways we can make a straight Angel article more meaty?
I felt a little tentative about the "HERE'S WHAT ANGEL MIGHT REALLY MEAN" stuff, but, like... how could I not address it at all? ;_; --Reichu 16:43, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
Merged content from "Angels (Adam's Children)"
I've brought most of the article across. This is just the first step, sometime soon I will go through and clean it up. --Nomis1242 08:09, 11 March 2011 (UTC)
Introductory text to "Adam's Children" has been edited to remove dubious claims about their origin, and so that it doesn't overlap too much with the later "Origins" and "Motivation and Psychology" sections. (just the beginning of the cleanup)--Nomis1242 08:24, 11 March 2011 (UTC)
- I'm not sure why you got rid of the "Common Characteristics" subheading. Now, when one looks at the page outline and heading organization, all of the... well... common characteristics are just randomly dumped after "nature" without context. I recommend restoring it.
- BTW, in these discussion pages, it's probably better to keep newer stuff toward the top. Less sifting through old shit that way. --Reichu 10:18, 11 March 2011 (UTC)
- "Common characteristics" got turfed because I couldn't see how the "non-common" sections (Nature, Origin, Psychology) were any different from the others. So I thought the grouping was superfluous. I don't mind if you want it put back though.--Nomis1242 13:20, 11 March 2011 (UTC)
This article needs a little work...
First off, Angels (as Adam's children) might warrant a separate article, since it's technically a different usage of the term. When one talks about them, one is not talking about "Angels" in the broader, somewhat cryptic sense.
Second, I'm not sure where that "legitimate definition" comes from. --Reichu 18:57, 20 August 2007 (EDT)
- Splitting the article is unnecessary. We will explain though, the special case of Adam and Lilith. --V 21:48, 20 August 2007 (EDT)
Ursus in History wrote: "arrgh grumble grumble where do I even start off...?"
That's a goooooood question... XD There's a shitload of stuff that needs to be here. It might be worth brainstorming a little over the kind of content we'd like to see on this page, and then come up with an 'attack plan' to make it happen. If I come up with anything while I go about my menial tasks today, I'll post them later. --Reichu 04:28, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- For the lack of anything else, should we have a short description (The opening few sentences of each article) and a table with a list of Angel thumbnails for Sachi through Armi? What is your opinion of putting Kaworu and Rei in a separate subheading called "vessels"? I'll show you the basic layout I have in mind. Change it if it's too much of clutter. --UrsusArctos 17:31, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- Started off the "Angel Table". This one's for Adam's progeny, the SoL and the two vessels shall be kept together separately. --UrsusArctos 17:48, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- (You got in another post by the time I finished this, so... I'll just keep my text as is.)
- A table with all the Angels would be useful. I was thinking that SOMEwhere we need to show how the Angel ordinal designations (and whether or not a specific Angel appears, for that matter) varies between the NGE/manga/Rebuild continuities. It would be nice to get it all worked out in a common table before attempting to apply it to the various infoboxes. We don't have ordinals/names for the two newcomers yet, but they can be stuck in there where they'd roughly appear.
- Also, there needs to be a basic rundown of the different definitions of "Angel". It's a royal headache, since there's at least, like, four different ways one sees it get used... but we should probably put emphasis on the ones where it refers to either Adam's children, or the one where it refers to "all humans but the first". There's also that whole "ordered Angel list (from 1st to 18th)" that confuses the hell out of people -- "are these the only Angels there are, and does the order they're in mean anything, and...?".
- Somewhere, we need some general writeup on 'common characteristics' of Angels (which definition to go by for this, I'm not sure). --Reichu 18:01, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- This Table form is what I was thinking of, yes. I guess we could create a subsection "Defintions of the term "Angel" " and number the different definitions that do exist within the series. Trying to find common characteristics would be a headache. The only directly stated common characteristic between humans as we know them and Angels is their DNA. The entire Fruit of Life/Fruit of Wisdom mess is way too far out for anything definite to be said. --UrsusArctos 20:15, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- Definitions of "Angel", definitely in.
- As far as "common characteristics" go... Perhaps the best thing to do would be to give Adam's kids their own sub-article. They really do deserve one, since they essentially comprise their own race of humans (even though they get artificially split up into separate "Angels"), and there's a lot to say about them as a whole. I'm not sure what the best name for the article would be, since the kids are collectively called "Angels" pretty much everywhere. My preference would be for the title "Angels (Adam's Children)", even though someone somewhere will surely bawwwwwww because "children" is too loaded a term. (It's too bad Anno got rid of the line in 25' where Misato uses the phrase "Adam's children"...) --Reichu 20:39, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- (EDIT: BTW, your supplements to my "I'm too lazy to write a proper description this edit" descriptions made me lol. XD) --Reichu 20:43, 2 May 2009 (PDT)
- Sorry Reichu, but I'm against you on this one. Making a whole separate article based on the Adam-born Angels is prying the meat from the bones. This article doesn't have much to offer now as most of the Angels are Adam based anyway. Besides, when most people think of Angels, they think of the toilet paper angel, or the spider with acid angel, or the angel that can somehow withstand lava with its mouth open. While knowing which angels are derived from Adam and which are not is important, I believe its more important to have the names of the angels on the actual Angel page instead. I honestly don't think that an Angel's origins warrant a separate page on their own, considering the fact that most angels are based off of Adam anyways. --Ironfoot 21:01, 1 December 2009 (PST)